Friday, July 8, 2011

“Don’t cry because it’s over, smile because it happened.” -Dr Seuss


“Time passes. Even when it seems impossible. Even when each tick of the second hand aches like the pulse of blood behind a bruise. It passes unevenly, in strange lurches and dragging lulls, but pass it does.” 
-Stephanie Meyer

So this is it, tomorrow morning I’m going to be getting on the bus to Rome for the last time. It’ll be a 6 hour ride. I’ll stay the night in Rome with the other exchange students. I doubt we’re going to sleep, I’m sure we’re going to cry. We’ll have to say our goodbyes not knowing when or even IF we will ever see each other again. It’s going to be hard. When we finally make it to the airport we’ll board our planes and say goodbye to Italy. I guess I’m not totally saying goodbye, considering I’m taking a part of it with me. Sofi and Augusta are going to meet me at the airport and board the plane with me. After a lay over in London, we’ll make our way to Toronto. And when that plane lands, it will be over. After 10 long months I’ll be back, but I don’t think it’s going to be the same person that got on that plane 10 months ago that’s going to step off. Lots has changed in 10 months I’ve changed, I’ve leaned a lot, and I’ve realized a lot of important things.


-I’ve realized we have to live everyday to it’s fullest, live in the moment there is no point in wasting time worrying about tomorrow or passing days regretting the past, because this moment, this moment right here right now is a moment you'll never get back, spend your moments wisely.

-I’ve realized that no matter how hard things get and how much you may want to quit, it will never be worth the feeling of accomplishment you get when you succeed.

-I’ve learned to embrace the new. No longer am I the person who always gets the exact same thing at a restaurant haha.

-I’ve learnt that most stereotypes aren’t true…unless you’re taking about Italy…(at least the south)
yes they do eat pasta everyday (sometimes even twice)
yes they are obsessed with soccer
yes they’re (almost) all mamma’s boys
yes they speak with their hands
yes they are extremely loud
yes, they pretty much all have brown hair
yes, the mafia does exist but it’s not like you think it is
yes teenage boys grease their hair (this is only a southern thing)
Guidos as they’re called in America (Ie: Jersey Shore) do exist and if you aren’t with them your against them we call them I tamarri, they even have a show -.- and their own double decker private bus that tours italy going from night club to night club  -.-

…then there’s some that aren’t true
They actually don’t eat spaghetti and meatballs! Spaghetti is a type of pasta (not a sauce) and meatballs would be considered another course il secondo. Or like Alfredo , that’s a name not a type of sauce ;)
They AREN’T all hairy, it’s completely normal for girls to wax their arms and even their stomach along with their legs…because no one shaves… apparently shaving hurts?
They aren’t bad drivers, unsafe and fast yes but bad no haha (they'd make good stunt drivers)
They eat garlic bread yeah no haven’t seen that once
They’re all super tanned, only in the summer, when I ask myself…how is that even possible.

And some other debunked stereotypes (not saying I thought these things but there were a lot of people that did)
They don’t eat dogs in China
It isn’t always cold in Iceland (but yeah they’re pretty much all blond)
German’s aren’t cold people
Not all austrailians can surf
Not all Egyptians live near the pyramids, they don’t normally ride camels either, and they aren’t all muslim

-I’ve become more independent, I can fend for myself. 

-I’ve learnt to take chances and overcome my fears, I survived exchange, this is coming from the kid who could barely handle sleepovers as child haha. I don’t worry about what’s in my food anymore like I don’t not eat something because there might be nuts. If there is, the world isn’t gonna end. Like I said I’ve learned to like new things, I try my best to try everything.

-I’ve learnt it’s okay to make mistakes, people are gonna laugh but how else are you going to learn? You have to at least try, try your best and even if your wrong it’s better than nothing.

-I’ve learnt how to make the best of things. Working with what I have and where I am. There is always something to be happy about it could be big or even something as small as, today there was toilet paper in the school bathroom for the first time in 3 months!

-I’ve realized we can't try and have everything planned because there will always be something that comes up and changes everything. We just have to go with the flow.

-Exchange has showed me just how big the world really is, and at the same time how big it isn’t. How no matter where you go, people, when you come down to it, are all the same. Sure we speak different languages and look different and have different traditions and cultures but we’re all people. We all value our families and our friends, we all love having fun, we all love laughing, we all cry, we all smile, we all get sad, we all have our problems and none of us are perfect. But that’s what makes us human.

-This whole experience has taught me how important is it to take every opportunity you are given. Every opportunity is a chance to learn something new.

-Worrying serves no purpose, seriously like that thing that was such a big deal 2 weeks ago, turns out really isn’t. Don’t worry about the future, about things that “might” happen, just go with it. Just live.

Yeah so that’s about it…just a bit about my last week here, nothing to exciting other than the trip to the canyon but uhh yeah here ya go

-the trip to the canyon
-Finally went to the greek restauraunt and ate Ghiros (in English I think it’s gyros?)
-The first few days were nice then it god crazy hot again
-I went and did parkour for the last time with the guys and we even made a video.
-Had a girls night and made pizza at one am, didn't sleep very much haha
-Ate for the last time at the "freepub" 
-Made friends with the people who work at Iloveyogurt the frozen yogurt store =P
-bought a final thing from H&M, a skirt that was on sale for 7 euro
-forgot to stretch after working out 2 days ago...i now have 2 giant knots in my calves... 
-Said goodbye to everyone, which was kinda sad.
-Successfully packed up my life in 100 pounds + a carry-on.

and 

-Survived having my legs waxed for the last time.

Okay now that’s really it, I think I’m finally ready to go home, not so much because I miss it, I just want it back. As much as I love Italy it’s made me realize how much more I love Canada.  I can’t wait to get back to the gym, and start working again and not have free time haha.
I’m excited for this, I feel like things are going to be great, like just life in general not just this summer or the rest of this year but like everything. I’ve got an insanely full summer after 3 days down south when I get back (Toronto, Niagara, and Wonderland) to show Sofi and Augusta some stuff, It’s going to be 3 weeks of all things Canadian! Then I’m off to vegas and come back for conditioning camp? And then CAC!! And the summer will already be over, and I’ll be back at school (how I miss Canadian school) in I still don’t know what grade =P and back to gym and back to work and it’s just gonna be good. I’m happy. Sono felice, non vedo l’ora di tornare a casa, di dormire nel mio letto, di vedere la mia famiglia, I miei amici e il mio cane, di mangiare la colazione canadese, e di fare una pausa dalla pizza e la pasta haha. I’m excited =)

Ci vediamo tra poco =)
Un abbraiccio dal l’italia
Alissa ( Pronounced: Aah-Lee-Sah ,come mi chiamano quoi)


No comments:

Post a Comment